Child Support: Who Should Pay & How Can You Make Your Partner Pay?

by 48 Minutes | Monday, May 15, 2017 | 526 views

Child SupportIn a perfect world, every parent would never even think of not supporting their children. But in reality, there are millions of children (about 30 million in the U.S. alone) who are not getting any child support at all. 

If you're wondering if you have a right to ask your ex-partner for financial support, don't be stuck with the question, "Who should be paying for child support?"

Child support as an obligation

Both biological parents, a non-custodial parent (whether biological or adoptive), and a non-biological parent who has taken the child as their long-term responsibility has an obligation to support the child’s financial needs. It is not a question of whether you’re married; a child is a parent’s responsibility.

How can you force a parent to pay child support?

Even if you and your ex-partner agreed to a payment plan, they may not always do their part. When this happens, it's necessary to get a court order to force a non-custodial parent to pay up. The Child Support Enforcement Agency where you live can help you collect. They can even give you legal advice. 

Read:  Why You Should Hire a Certified Enforcement Officer

Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer added that it's also advisable to talk to child support attorneys in Albuquerque or wherever you’re residing. They can do most of the work for you. The court in your state will contact the court in the state where your ex-partner is staying, so they can start the process of collection. If your ex-partner decides to run, your attorney can give proper advice on what to do next.

How long does child support last?

In most cases, the child should receive support until they're 18 years of age. A child with special needs may need it beyond that age. If the child is adopted by someone else, the parent may petition the court so they may stop paying child support. A child who enters the military is also no longer eligible for child support.

Your child is entitled to support both from you and the other parent. It is your right to force them to pay if necessary. Do everything you can to make it happen.

Like it? Share it!